Columbus Water Works (CWW) has the vision to be an outstanding provider of utility services, dedicated to protecting the environment, aspiring to new opportunities and compelled to excel in service to our community. Integrating the delivery of safe water and collection of wastewater for the 230,000 residents of the Columbus, Georgia region, CWW is dedicated to providing future generations with a legacy of responsible environmental stewardship of the middle Chattahoochee River watershed.
At the turn of the 20th century, citizens of Columbus were unhappy with their water supply and were pressing for a public water system. There were both quality and reliability issues associated with the private water system. The private system was failing to meet the growth needs of the city. Initial efforts for a public water system in Columbus, Georgia came from cisterns and crude pumps as early as 1839. The first community water system was built in 1849. A marker identifying the location of the spring was placed by the Water Works on Country Club Drive in 1989. During this era, prior to the creation of the Board of Water Commissioners, pipes were made of hollowed, wooden logs and much of the water leaked from the pipes before it reached downtown.
A study performed in 1898 by a prominent civil engineer recommended the Chattahoochee River as the source of water supply.
The original water treatment plant was constructed in 1915, with further additions and modifications added throughout the years. Portions remaining of the original facility include the #2 sedimentation basin and the #2 clearwell. Facility upgrades and modifications from original construction occurred in 1941, 1944, 1957, 1961, 1965, 1972, 1977, 1986, 1988, 1989, 1991, and 1995. Maintenance of the buildings has always remained a top priority. As a result, building infrastructures remain in excellent condition. Also, plant personnel are dedicated to utmost operation, maintenance and cleanliness of plant process, equipment, buildings and grounds.
In 1956, the Board of Water Commissioners assumed responsibility for the sanitary sewer system. The Water Works began the wastewater program with no treatment system. The first plant was built in 1964 and currently operates as a modern treatment facility which serves the entire community.